Bob was invited to attend the Official Ceremony of the Granting of the Freedom of the Town of Ross-on-Wye to The Rifles on Saturday 13th July and then exercising that freedom on the day.
In attendance were: HM Lord Lieutenant of Herefordshire, The Countess of Darnley JP; The Mayor of Ross-on-Wye, Councillor Chris Bartrum and Major General Tim Radford DSO, OBE, Regional Colonel of the Rifles, representing the Colonel Commandant.
B Company Second Battalion The Rifles marched onto the Parade with the Salamanca and Waterloo Band and Bugles of The Rifles, Hereford and Worcester Army Cadet Force, the Regimental Association and the Standards of the Royal British Legion. The Mayor of Ross and HM Lord Lieutenant, together with Major General Radford inspected the Parade. The Parade Commander Major Richard Wood was granted permission for the Parade to march along the High Street, Gloucester Road where the Salute was taken, Cantilupe Road, Station Street and dispersed at the Larruperz Centre.
At 1800 the Standards marched on Parade and the Sounding of the Retreat by the Salamanca and Waterloo Band and Bugles of the Rifles. They started with “Jellalabad” and a finale of “High on a Hill” and ending with the Evening Hymn “Sunset” and the National Anthem.
There was a reception given by the Mayor at the Larruperz Centre afterwards.